Chili is a STAPLE in both our homes during the winter months, but we know a lot of you (including ourselves) have been looking for more ways to increase our vegetable intake while at the same time minimizing our meat + dairy consumption. This recipe does just that! The sweet potatoes provide a nutritious heartiness, and the combination of different beans provide the same flavor we know and love, but VEGAN! We should also mention this makes one big a$$ pot of chili- so be prepared! We love to freeze 3/4 of it in individual containers for easy lunches later on!
What you Need:
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 full white onion (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Large Sweet potato, diced
- 1 Large Hot House Tomato, diced
- 1 Red pepper, diced
- 1 can White Beans
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 can Brown Beans in Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Kidney Beans
- Corn cut from two Cobs (or from one can)
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Optional garnishes: Chopped Green Onion, Sliced Jalapeno, Cilantro, Guacamole
- In a large stockpot over Medium heat, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil
- Add in diced Sweet Potato
- Add in all beans, tomatoes and corn, combine thoroughly.
- Season with Chilli Powder, Paprika, Cumin and salt/pepper
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Ideally, let simmer on low for 1-3 hours. Flavour improves with each hour simmering!
- Add diced Pepper just prior to serving.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with desired toppings.
*Full disclosure- our families are meat lovers, but NOT tomato lovers! So the Chili pictured above has ground Turkey added to it, and Tomatoes removed! *