I feel like I say this about almost all of our recipes.. but this one is TRULY one of our faves. Gin is seriously trending at the moment, and the combination of fresh squeezed Lemons, Basil infused simple syrup and Graydon’s London Dry Style Gin makes for easy sipping any day of the week. And we do mean ANY day of the week! The slightly spicy flavours and lingering citrus notes in Graydon’s Gin, makes this particular spirit perfect to pair with Lemon and Basil.
I used to think making simple syrup from scratch was a daunting task, but Mackenzie showed me how simple (pun intended!) it really is. All you do is boil one cup water and one cup sugar (or sugar substitute- we prefer stevia) and reduce to half the amount of liquid. Add in your flavor of choice – in this case- Basil at the boiling phase, and ta- da! Then just let the syrup cool and store in your refrigerator until needed! We plan on making a batch earlier in week so it is at the ready this labour day long weekend!
Here’s what you Need for this delightful and refreshing citrus cocktail:
- 2 Oz Graydon’s London Style Gin found at your local Wine and Beyond
- 1 Oz Basil Simple Syrup (See above) or use store bought simple syrup
- 2-3 Lemons, squeezed
- Club Soda
- Ice Cubes
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Prepare Simple Syrup using 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar (or sugar substitute) and 5-6 fresh basil leaves. Once reduced to half, remove basil leaves, let cool and store remainder in sealed container in refrigerator for future use (like tomorrow night!)
- In a cocktail mixing glass, combine all ingredients and ice and stir until combined
- Pour over ice into fresh cocktail glass, garnish with fresh basil leaves and ENJOY!
*This post was created in partnership with Alcanna Inc. As always, the thoughts, opinions and recipes are our own. *