This week’s salad features one of our absolute FAVE vegetables! Roasted Beets. Even though this salad is simple with just a few ingredients, the flavors are Bold and Fresh!
I know what you’re thinking.. Beets are messy. They dye your hands and stain your clothes. Its true. We have been known to ruin a white shirt (or two) in the past! BUT I recently discovered two helpful “Beet Hacks”.. consider the game changed!
Hack Number One: When cooking a full beet, simply wash + dry the beet, wrap in tin foil and place in oven at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes (checking periodically). Then let cool and slice. No peeling required!
Hack Number Two: Purchase pre peeled and prepared raw “fettuccine style” Beets. I Found these raw beet “noodles” at SAFEWAY!!! They are fresh, inexpensive and have ZERO preservatives. Amazing. All you do here is place on a baking sheet with parchment paper, drizzle with olive (or avocado oil), Salt + Pepper and place in oven at 325 Degrees for 10, minutes or so.
BEET Problem SOLVED!!! Now on to the rest of this Delish Dish!
– Beets (2-4 whole depending on size, 2-3 cups “fettucine style”
– 3 Cups pre-washed and dried Kale (curly, dinosaur, micro… whatever!)
-2 Cups Spinach
– 1/8 Cup Feta Cheese
– 1/2 Cup rinsed chick peas/ Garbanzo Beans
– 1 pressed clove garlic
-1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar (I used Evoolution’s Neapolitan Herb)
-1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
-1 tsp Honey
– 3 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
-1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– Himalayan Pink Salt (or reg salt) + Pepper to taste
1. Roast Beets using chosen method from above
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine Kale, Spinach, and Chickpeas (if desired)
3. In a separate small bowl whisk all dressing ingredients together, saving Olive Oil for last.
4. Whisk in Olive oil slowly so it emulsifies.
5. Add beets and dressing to rest of salad.
6. Top with Feta
Note: You can also add caramelized walnuts for an extra crunch, or pair salad with chosen protein such as chicken or fish, for more of a “filling” meal. I added barbecued Wild Salmon to mine!